Monday, October 15, 2007

There's No Place Like Home

So the blog thing hasn't worked as well as I thought it would. I was really excited to journal while we traveled and to keep updated on what we did and the things we saw, but alas, it was not to be. First, all the blog instructions were in German and when my password didn't seem to want to work so I could post, the instruction email also came in German. I guess I just need to learn German!

We have been home for a few days now and it is almost better to be home than it was to be away. That is not to say I didn't have a great time or that I regret going or any of that, but if there is one thing that I realized while I was away...I have a great life. I have a great life. I have a great husband, a great dog, a good job, great teaching opportunities, great friends, a great church. You name it. I have a great life.

I think that too often we get so caught up in the nature of wanting more, looking over the rainbow for the next tomorrow and what it will bring us. I am very goal oriented and with that comes a sense of looking ahead and planning. I think I get too caught up in that. I am constantly looking ahead. Unfortunately, I have often looked beyond the amazing things I have right now in order to do this. I still want to be a planner and I still want to set goals, but I really want to see what is in front of me.

I want to taste each moment and live for right now. I know that sounds so trite, but it is really true. I have never been so happy as I have been since coming home. I know where I belong, I know who I belong with and I know that what I have been given is an amazing gift. Both Kevin and I have said that we believe we are stronger as a result of this trip. We are not up for this kind of lesson again anytime soon, but we are so thankful that we had a chance to really learn that who we are and what we have is just exactly what we want. We don't need tomorrow. Today is just enough.

2 comments:

Cheryl Pleinis said...

I'm so glad to hear you're home, safe and sound. We have much catching up to do, I'm sure. Do call when you have some down time or are on the road. I hope you had a terrific bday - your gift is being mailed from Wisconsin so it may be awhile... but you will love it! Talk to you soon...

Margaret Donn said...

I am so jealous. Why did you go to
Germany? Work related? How long??
Every week at least Paul says to call you to see how you are because Laura had told him you had to go to the hospital. He will be pleased that you are very well.
Please let me know about your trip. Much love, Margaret